Chiang Mai Thai

Ever wanted to learn Thai, in Chiang Mai? I did just that from November 2010, returning home in October 2011. If you don't want a headache, start HERE, it will explain the preceding posts. I'm Snap, Stray's other half. COOEE is our (other) travel blog.

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Thanks for everything. Leaving Chiang Mai

As it came closer to the time to leave Chiang Mai (a couple of days ago), I started thinking about how to say goodbye in Thai. I don't just mean สวัสดีค่ะ sà~​wàt-​dee-​kâ, but more along the lines of "Thanks for everything." Like I'd say in Australian.

I thought about translating it directly...but I wasn't sure if I could do that?, so didn't say it.

ขอบคุณสำหรับทุกสิ่ง/kòp kun săm-ràp túk sìng
Literally - thank you for everything.

However, when I sought the advice of a Thai friend he came back with simply 'thank you'. But for me it didn't seem quite enough.

ขอให้มีความสุข/kŏr hâi mee kwaam sùk 
Literally - request to be happy

was the second option he gave me, which I understand to mean 'Wish you happiness.'..or if you believe Google 'Have a good time.'

When crunch time came I was happy that I could say that 'I was going home, and on what day and that I might return in ?????'...not happy that I was leaving, but happy that I'd learnt the words. Stray used...

ผมคิดถึงคุณแล้ว/pŏm kít tĕung kun láew
Literally - I miss you already

...a few times, which did recieve a few giggles.

Mostly as I said farewell (to non-English speakers),

โชคดีนะ/chôhk-​dee ná
Literally - good luck + polite particle, was a common response. So, for now it's...

สวัสดีค่ะเชียงใหม่/sà~​wàt-​dee-​kâ chiang-mài
Literally - Goodbye Chiang Mai!

...and I'm off to redesign this blog header.

Cheers!
สเนป

See what else we're up to at Cooee!

2 comments:

  1. Snap, it's so weird knowing that you are no longer in Thailand so I'm going to just pretend that you are still here, ok?

    Oh, and about redesigning that blog header...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's OK Cat...some days I pretend I'm still there too ;) Too busy rearranging the jungle that is my yard, to redesign the header right now.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment.