Chiang Mai Thai

Ever wanted to learn Thai, in Chiang Mai? I did just that from November 2010, returning home in October 2011. If you don't want a headache, start HERE, it will explain the preceding posts. I'm Snap, Stray's other half. COOEE is our (other) travel blog.

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Revisiting the CMU LI Website

Since I first enrolled in my course, the website has been revamped, so I went back for a closer look for my own benefit, but you might also be interested.

As I mentioned in my first post, the One Year Learn Thai course costs ฿30,000. The course outline states I attend for 180 hours and at 4 hours per week (2 x 2 hours), so I will be attending for 45 weeks out of the 52. Seven weeks of holidays?

This equates to just (*post edit) under AU$6.00 per hour, depending on the rate of exchange at the time. Not bad!

Information on the website I didn't find previously:

Terms and conditions

Refunds - Previously CMU assured me by email it was OK to defer, but evidently, not to pull out of the course completely, without losing my deposit of ฿15,000 *see Visa info below. That's over AU$500.00. The balance, of the same amount, is due on arrival. If I start the course and decide not to continue, I lose all of my payment of ฿30,000.

This seems quite harsh to me. Usually a college or university will give a partial refund according to how much of the course has been attended/has remaining.

Dress code for teachers and students: Collared shirt, Slacks, Dress Shoes.

I have no problem with this at all, although I am sure I read somewhere, perhaps on another website, that dress is casual and was described as 'not uncommon for students to dress like they were at a resort'.

English - You have to have a basic level of English to be able to attend the course. However, there is a Thai course for Japanese.

Course Times - The website now displays the course times.

Nov 1st 2010 Mon & Wed 5:30pm - 7:30pm
Dec 2nd 2010 Tues & Thurs 5:30pm - 7:30pm
Jan 4th 2011 Tues & Thurs 5:30pm - 7:30pm
Feb 2nd 2011 Mon & Wed 5:30pm - 7:30pm

Looks like I'll be having dinner at the Uni.

Visa - The tuition fee DOES NOT cover the cost of the ED Visa. An ED visa is a Non-B Education visa that allows a visitor to Thailand to remain in the country while they are studying. If the Thai embassy rejects my visa, CMU will provide a full refund minus a ฿1,000 processing charge.

The Thai Embassy (Australian) website seems to have no information specifically on the ED Visa. I have read elsewhere that I will be required to obtain 'permission to stay stamp' every 90 days and currently (still) have no idea of costs etc.

Student Testimonials - None at present, however there is a Blog section, which I will revisit and read.

Mailing List - I have signed up to receive the newsletter by email.

3 comments:

  1. Curious. How do you feel about having Thai lessons at the tail end of your day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good question. At this stage OK as I won't be working during the day, except at my laptop...and it should be a bit cooler? But if we have to move away from the uni for any reason...not so good.

    Stray was to start the 4 week TEFL Course at CMU also, in November, which was comforting to me that he would be in the same area. Alas, today a spanner was thrown into the works by his course organisers and we're in limbo with his plans at the moment. (I'll be posting something on Cooee soon)

    I am hoping that after February that I can have a change and that the classes will be held during the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The problem with living in a tropical climate is that it can be tiring. By evening, you are ready for a G&T, not for intensive study.

    Everyone is different obviously. If you are an evening person, then it might suit you better.

    In the tropics I've nixed any serious study from lunchtime on. In a cooler climate it didn't seem to matter... just as long as it wasn't the magic sleeping hour - 3pm.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment.